Saturday, December 4, 2010

Grandma Mouse

We call her Grandma Mouse because when she gets mad she starts squeeking. She has a high pitched voice to begin with, but my Great Grandmother's is even higher. Grandma Mouse is about 5 foot tall, quite top heavy and has short, curly, wild hair. She has these tiny little bird legs holding her up, God only knows how because they look like little twigs compared to her bust. She redefined the term 'independent woman.' My mom and I lived with her when I was really little, about 45 minutes out of town. Grandma Mouse never liked living in town, she prefers to be alone with about 9,000 animals surrounding her. She is in her 60s and still bucks her own hay to feed her cattle and horses. She drives a huge flatbed pickup truck and has enough piss and vinegar in her for everyone. I never messed with Grandma Mouse, I was born with respect for her. Beneath her tan wrinkled face and unruly curly hair is a heart of gold though, so don't be fooled by her callused hands. She may be able to curse like a sailor, but she is also the first person to bring you chicken noodle soup when your sick. She was the one to surprise me with McDonalds when she would pick me up from school. She was the Grandma who made me mashed potatoes on rainy days and always made sure I had my rum cake at Thanksgiving.
Grandma Mouse has been my long time hero, and when she told me this morning that she had cancer something broke inside me. Because until today, Grandma Mouse was unbeatable, she was bulletproof. Now I think of my little 5 foot tall Grandmother, alone in California on her 200 acres with no one to help her. I am on the other side of the continent for school and all I want to do is run back to California and take care of her like she took care of me for so long. So friends, readers, anyone who is listening, please pray for my Grandmother? I can't imagine a world without her. Thank you.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment